Caring for Your Gold Jewelry
- Gold is lasting and durable, but it can get scratched or dented if treated roughly.
- Gold's worst enemy is chlorine. Repeated exposure can weaken gold's structure, eventually leading to breakage. Keep your jewelry away from chlorinated cleaning products and out of swimming pools and jacuzzis - hot tubs.
- Protect your gold jewelry by storing it safely or keeping it wrapped in a soft cloth when not being worn.
- Clean your gold jewelry with a cleaning solution of sudsy lukewarm water, or bring it to your local jeweler and have it steam-cleaned. Dry and polish jewelry with a chamois or soft cloth after cleaning and rinsing.
- Keep gold jewelry free from dust, moisture, perspiration and makeup.
- Always inspect your gold jewelry for weakness or damage and bring it to a professional jeweler for immediate repair. Your jeweler will be able to restore it for you.
- Text from Jewelers of America Consumer Education Materials.